You wouldn’t think that you could build a home from hemp……
Hempcrete is probably the most well known name for hemp home building material. The center of the Industrial Hemp stalk is used (hemp hurds), mixed with water and a powdered limestone. Formed into the wall of a building. Over time, a chemical reaction occurs which petrifies the hemp and turns the lime back into stone.
“One ton of manufactured cement (1400–1450 °C) releases 850kg of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere!
This is a consequence of the chemical reaction and cannot be reduced by energy saving.
The use of lime instead of cement will save approximately 80% of the CO2 release compared to ordinary cement.
One single residence will save between 5,000 and 10,000 lbs of CO2 emissions.”
~ National Hemp Association
Hempcrete is extremely cost effective and more important, it is extremely environmentally friendly. Blocks made from hempcrete, absorb large amounts of carbon dioxide. Hempcrete homes insulates noise as well as heat and humidity
OTHER BENEFITS TO USING HEMPCRETE:
- Resistant to:
- less use of petrochemicals
- low carbon footprint
- earthquake resistant
- extremely windproof
- excellent insulation
- non-hazardous to work with
IS BUILDING WITH HEMP, NEW?
No, not at all!
- France has 40 years of projects and going strong
- Not to mention the 2000 year old Roman aqueducts
- Hemp mortar was found in France bridge abutments, built between 500 – 751 A.D.
- Hemp was used to reinforce artificial stone in London, 1813 A.D.
MORE BENEFITS TO BUILDING WITH HEMP:
- thermal mass aids in temp control in low and high temps.
Thermal mass is the ability of a material to absorb and store heat energy. A/C’s and heaters do not need to be ran all day, because the hempcrete already maintains the temperature control for low/high temps
- low thermal conductivity (Heat transfer occurs at a lower rate across materials of low thermal conductivity than across materials of high thermal conductivity)
- fully recyclable
- naturally pest resistant – safe to use, good for environment, free from pesticides and fungicides, free from threat of termite infestation
- low maintenance
WHAT OTHER BENEFITS ARE THERE?
- cost effective, comparable or less cost than typical wood framed house
- insulation from exterior/interior noises makes for a quiet home
- melds well in appearance with other building materials…tile, stone, wood, etc
- plaster (invented in B.C.) has a moisture regulating ability, meaning hemp walls create a waterproof, breathable shell around the home, due to its ability to contain moisture.
It is time to take future generations seriously.
Help spread the word of our amazing Hemp plant….
Let’s bring it back home where it belongs!
Thank you for reading and
I always appreciate your comments,